Tuesday, August 23, 2011

red rock south

If we're in downtown SLC, our go-to microbrewery tends to be Squatter's.  There's another brewpub just around the corner from them, though: Red Rock Brewing.  They've got the SLC location, one in Park City and just now have opened a third location at "Fashion Place Mall" in Murray.  (I'm sorry, but that's just about the dumbest name for a mall ever.)  We went there to check it out on a recent date night.

The place is absolutely enormous with two huge dining rooms, patio seating and a rather smallish bar given the size of the dining rooms.  It was busy when we went that Friday night but we were able to score seats at the bar without waiting, and were able to watch everyone else bustling around, taking in sustenance after some hard mall shopping.  The space is pretty much decorated in late 20th Century Brewpub with glass walls, exposed ventilation ducts and a mostly open kitchen, including a view into the brick ovens.  There are lots of fantastic photographs of various Utah red rock formations, adding some nice warm color to the space.

I think I know why we haven't been to Red Rock Brewing since before we moved here: I find the beer and the food okay but not great.  I had the bitter, which was on the cask, and H had the IPA: his beer was floral but not overly hoppy; mine was pretty nondescript, although it was a lovely color.  I had a Caprese sandwich with mozzarella, carmelized onions, roasted Roma tomatoes and basil - tasty enough but too much (and too dry) bread.  H had the Cobb salad which was quite big and piled high with bacon, egg, cheese and avocado.

It looks like the new location is being well-received, which is great, and I'm thrilled to see a local company holding its own in a mall dominated by national chains.  Still, given the choice, I'm going to stick with Squatter's if I'm downtown and the Porcupine if I'm south - the food is better at both of those places, and I can get Full Suspension at both of 'em too.

No comments:

Post a Comment