Thursday, August 25, 2011

rocky road

It had been ages - yes, ages! - since I'd gotten on my MTB, so in a last minute decision, we headed over to Park City to try out the Glenwild Trails.  Glenwild is on the north side of I-80,  near Kimball Junction.  Because it's Park City, the Spring Creek Trailhead had plenty of parking and an extremely swanky (i.e., not a port-o-let) restroom.  Because it's Utah, it was all frickin' uphill.

Well, not all of it, but the first bit for sure.  And H and I learned a couple of lessons.  First: discuss which trail you're going to ride on.  I assumed we'd be doing the Glenwild Loop, which we did, but because the trail was narrow and rocky and up from the get-go, I psyched myself out and walked, pushing my bike up the trail.  At the first junction, I went left, whereas H had continued straight on and was waiting for me at the top of the hill.  So I continued on and on, up and up, pushing my bike up the Stealth Trail to the top of the hill, fully expecting H to find me at any time.  Then, at the top of the hill, I rode down the Cobblestone Trail for a bit, chickening out on all the steep and rocky switchbacks, until I wasn't entirely sure that I was still on the loop ... and turned around to start pushing my bike back up what I'd just ridden down.  (By now, what with all the walking in bike shoes, I had a huge blister on the back of my right heel.)

H did find me before I had walked up more than four switchbacks.  Poor guy: after waiting at the top of the hill, he rode all the way back down to the parking lot in case I'd given up or was stuck in a ditch.  When he didn't find me, he turned around and rode back UP the hill, this time going to the left the way I had gone until he caught up with me.  I hadn't been terribly worried - I knew he'd find me, especially if I really had managed to stay on the loop (which I had).  I turned back around and we kept riding to the bottom of the steep, rocky hill where the singletrack turned and meandered through the rolling sagebrush-covered hills.  By the time we'd wound our way back around to finish the loop, I was wicked tired and ready for a band-aid and a beer.  Luckily, we had both of those things in the truck - ready for anything.

Still smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment