Wednesday, October 26, 2011

bike with mike

On Sunday we loaded our MTBs into the truck and drove out to Captain Mike's house in Park City.  He lives in a great spot, in the foothills on the far side of the valley, so he's got a great view of the three (Park City Mountain Resort, Deer Valley and Canyons) ski resorts.  He's also got access right out his front door to Park City's fantastic network of trails, accessible to MTBers, runners, hikers, snowshoers, nordic skiers and horseback riders.

Mike and me - action shot!

We took some nice singletrack through the fields and around the foothills, gently climbing up until we connected with the Glenwild Loop above Kimball Junction.  At this point, I recognized the trail that H and I had ridden earlier this summer - correction: the trail that H had ridden and I had walked my bike up and up and up.  For some reason, I did much better this time, especially when Mike was riding in front of me so I could pace myself off him.  He and I were about the same speed, but he is much stronger on the bike than I am, and looked like he could calmly pedal uphill forever.

Another nice day in greater Park City

Instead of going to the top of the hill and picking our way down the difficult switchbacks (as H and I had done), Mike led us up a jeep road and then down a less technical route.  At the intersection at the bottom of the hill, we continued on the Flying Dog trail, following a creek bed a little ways and then climbing up and over another ridge.  I really like those trails out there.  There are hills, sure, but they're not so discouragingly steep and long, and this time I actually pedaled my way up most of them.

We looped back around, ending up back at the house after about twelve miles, and then enjoyed a beer on the porch.  You always should end a MTB ride with a beer.  Captain Mike thinks so too and that's yet another reason why we like Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment