Saturday, December 29, 2012

bumpy

The latest storm moved in after Christmas, dropped 23 inches and then moved on by Friday afternoon, leaving us partially sunny skies and no fresh tracks on Saturday.  The snow, which had been skied out by Friday afternoon, was bumped up into pretty big/ softish moguls in all the ungroomed areas, but it was still pretty good in spots - like in Catherine's Area and lower East Greeley - although you had to hunt for it amid the many, many people populating the slopes.  Actually, the trails weren't crowded: the lodges were packed at lunchtime, with Alf's running out of things and people circling the dining area like vultures, searching for available seats; the lift lines were not too bad until after 2:00 p.m. when skiers seemed to come out of the woodwork.

We skied in our usual haunts - mostly off Supreme, taking the Supreme Bowl traverse into the near portions of Catherine's Area, hitting the chutes and trees of the Bowl, doing some off No. 9 Express and Upper Sleepy Hollow.  I should say that H skied; I was a total spaz before lunch, completely unable to get my skis to do what I wanted them to do.  We did several runs in East Greeley after lunch and I was passably better, but still not where I wanted to be.  The solution was to send H off to ski the steeps and deeps while I tried to get my act together on the groomers.  It was frustrating but I was hopeful that Sunday would be better.

H's legs were cooked by 2:30 p.m. (mine weren't too bad but then I'd been skiing a lot of groomers) so we skied out.  We were in the truck by 3 p.m., home by 3:30 p.m. and I was showered and wearing my soft pants by 4:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment