Sunday, July 17, 2022

entering wasatch wildflower season

 It has been forever since we've done any hiking in SLC.  In May, we were in Moab a lot during prime hiking conditions, and June just slipped away so quickly.  I hadn't been up to Alta since skiing ended for me in April; even though Milton couldn't go with me, I wanted to get up there Saturday morning.  Although we've been hiking the desert, I'm out of shape for climbing mountains.

Buttercups

We're also in a bit of a heat wave - to add to the drought and the drifting wildfire smoke - with temperatures into the 100s for about a week.  This means you have to get up early if you want to do anything outside.  I got up at 5:15 and was leaving the parking lot at Alta's Albion base area an hour later, the sun just peaking over the mountains and the temperature an incredible feeling 56F.

False forget me nots

I didn't do anything new (and wasn't breaking any land speed records either), just hiked up through the Sunnyside area (where they are replacing the triple chair with a six-person monstrosity) to catch the Catherine's Pass trail.  Once at the pass, I continued up and across the top of Catherine's Area to the top of Supreme, then down via the access road to the campground (second weekend open but still several empty campsites).  There'd been a few people up above but as I went back down through Sunnyside, the throngs started arriving, wandering around with their noses in their Trail Forks app even though these trails are well-marked and rather obvious.

Paintbrush and lupine

It's still early for peak wildflowers but they're definitely on their way.  In addition to the ones pictured, I also saw columbines, bluebells, scarlet gilia, sticky geraniums, horsemint and possibly some anemones and penstemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment