Wednesday, January 27, 2010

let's be honest

Now, I don't want all our friends and family back east to think H and I are Maine-bashing what with all our "Ooh! Utah is soooooo great! We love Utah and we're sooooooo happy to be here!  Ooh - mountains!"  I mean, all of that is true.  But let's be honest - there are, in fact, some things that Maine is better at than Utah.

Like avalanches - Maine has many fewer deaths by avalanche: there was another one just today, someone back-country skiing near (but not at) Solitude; that makes at least two people dead after last weekend's big ol' storm.  Also, I'm still preferring Hannaford to the grocery stores out here, although I am finding a much better variety of Mexican foods now.  Maine drivers are better at driving in snowstorms, I think, and the Maine plow guys are vastly superior to the UTDOT although they don't use sand out here which keeps the roadsides much cleaner.

There.  Does that even things up a little?

2 comments:

  1. Well, I feel a LITTLE better after reading that, but it's pretty short. Let's talk about ocean, lobster, plenty of water..........!!

    We know how you feel. It's pretty similar to our feelings when we moved to Maine almost 38 years ago----so much to discover and enjoy and so different from where we'd grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see your ocean, lobster and plenty of water, and raise you champagne powder, sunshine and lack of mosquitos! xo

    ReplyDelete