Sunday, July 1, 2012

fuego

We seem to be spending a lot of time in Park City these days - heck, if we didn't have to work, we'd love to live there, but there ain't no way I'll deal with the nightmare of I-80 as a daily commute.  (For the record, if we lived there, we'd ski at Deer Valley).  But I digress: on Wednesday night, we made our way back to Park City to meet H's cousin Nancy for dinner.  Nancy and her family had come out a couple of ski seasons ago and H met them for a ski day at Deer Valley.  I wasn't able to go then so I hadn't met her yet.  Her husband was attending a conference for work and they were staying at the St. Regis; he had a dinner function and that freed her up to see us.

We met in town at a place called Fuego Bistro and Pizzeria, a non-Main Street place (2001 Sidewinder Dr.) recommended by one of my work friends who assured me that this was a locals-only place.  The locals don't seem to go there on Wednesdays, however, because at 7 p.m. we were the only people in there.  It did get a little busier: a group of about ten teenage girls came in a little while after we did; several more tables showed up; and a couple of singletons had drinks and dinners at the bar.  The place was also doing a fairly brisk business in take-out pizza.

They had all the regular Utah microbrews available and a decent variety of wines, cocktails too.  We shared an appetizer order of the mussels, sauteed in white wine, garlic and chunky tomatoes and served with toasted Italian bread slices.  The mussels were quite good - I love mussels and haven't had any since we, you know, moved out here to the desert.  For entrees, H had the lasagne and Nancy and I each ordered an little pizza (although we probably could have split one between us), spinach/sundried tomatoes/feta/mozzarella/red sauce for me, pesto/kalamata olives/artichoke hearts/fresh mozzarella for Nancy.  My pizza was tasty, although the crust could have been just a little browner; Nancy asked for no olives on hers and ended up with no olives or artichoke hearts.

Fuego is a big, high ceilinged space, warmly colored with a fabulous huge mirror over the bar.  Even though it was hard to get a good feel for it with so few people there, I imagine it's fun in the winter time when Park City is busier.  I appreciated finding out about a non-touristy place too as sometimes Main Street/PC can be a little much.  I'd be willing to go back - especially since my friend said their chocolate cake was sooooo good that her husband ordered two.  Seems like that's something I should experience in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment